Monday, August 25, 2014

Salvation In The Light of God's Love - Chapter Four - Ty Gibson

     I kind of, sort of, think that maybe I possibly might end up being saved."  
     If it weren't so serious it would be funny.  Tragically, there are many--and I mean many who feel just that uncertain about their destiny.
     How unlike Paul:  "God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind....who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began...who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel...I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed to Him against that day."  2Timothy 1:7,9,10,12.
     How unlike John:  "This is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life....you may know that you have eternal life" 1 John 5:11-13, NKJV.
     Obviously these men understood something about the plan of salvation that many of us have missed.  Their voices ring with such a clear testimony of confidence.
     God has saved us, Paul proclaims, and I know , I believe, I am persuaded that He will keep me.
     God has given me eternal life in His Son, John exalts, and I know that I have eternal life.
     Then in stark contrast, listen to our whimpering dirge: "I think....I hope....It will be nice if I make it.  But if I don't God knows I tried."
     What is the problem?  What is missing in our thinking?
     Well, according to Paul, the "life and immortality" of which he was so confident was brought to light through the gospel" 2 Timothy 1:10.  The gospel is the key.  To the church at Thessalonica he said the "gospel came....in much assurance" 1 Thessalonians 1:5.  It was Paul's understanding of the gospel that gave him such strong assurance of salvation.  We can logically assume, then, that our lack of assurance has grown out of a misunderstanding of the gospel.
     In this chapter I want to address one basic difference between what many people believe concerning salvation and what the Bible clearly teaches.  This single facet of the gospel, if understood, will do much to dispel the dark clouds of doubt that hang over us.

     ( Tomorrow we will find out what that one single facet is. Pray for the Holy Spirit's presence as you read this and remember it is all Biblical and is such a relief to see it so clearly.  It is so enlightening.  Grandma Joan.)

P.S.  Somehow my drafts got mixed up and yesterdays page should have been this page and vice versa, so if you read this page and then read yesterdays it will make much more sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment