Sunday, February 4, 2018

Another Kind of Commandment / A New Friendship and Joy

Another Kind of Commandment

Returning to John 15:10 and Jesus' words, "If ye keep My commandments," we are immediately reminded of the Old Testament commandments--the "Thou shalt have no other Gods before Me"commandments--and the rest of the imperatives given through Moses.  Is this what Jesus was talking about?  They are part of it, but there is more, for Jesus clarified Himself in John 15:12 when He said, "This is My commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you."  Christ was speaking of what happens when we abide in His love, and of His desire that we reflect the love that we have experienced in the abiding relationship to our fellow men.  Love is the central theme here, however He places the word love in even more endearing terms in verse 13 and onward, when He associates it with the word "friends."

A New Friendship and Joy

The word "friends" comes from the Greek word philos  and derives from the same root as love, referring to a love that is authentic and true.  For example, when we speak of "loved ones," we are primarily referring to relatives.  If we speak of "loved ones at home," we are talking about our own family members, not friends who have dropped by keeping in mind the Greek philos background, becoming "friends,"--becoming sons and daughters of God's family through the adoption process--takes on new meaning.  So Jesus was not only talking about the Vine and the branches, and the abiding relationship and fruit-bearing, but He was also saying that if we do these things and abide in His love, we will actually become His 'friends."

In John 15:11 we learn about the outcome of the relationship: "These things have I spoken unto you, that My joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full." Who would have ever thought that the recipe for joy and happiness could be enumerated in such a simple formula?  People seek joy in every way--producing things, pursuing materialism, developing a wide circle of friends, going after self-centered aspirations--but not in following His recipe for complete joy.

Do you want to be a friend of Jesus?  I do and most people would be honored to be His close friend.  I would and I am working towards that goal or I should say that I am letting Him work through me towards that goal.  I know from my studies that I can do nothing to save myself but He can save me if I am willing to surrender my life fully to Him.  Works has been such a big part of my life that I am having a hard time letting go of the idea that I have to do something to save myself, when the only thing I CAN do is surrender my life to Him, for it is God which works in you to will and to do of His good pleasure Philippians 4 :13. What an awesome thought for a weak human being like me.  Don't you think that verse is a wonderful promise?  I do.  Grandma Joan


No comments:

Post a Comment