Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Repentance - part 3 - A Point On Which We Might Err.

Matthew 11:28  "Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

SC 26  "Just here is a point in which many may err, and hence they fail to receive the help that Christ desires to give them.  They think they cannot come to Christ unless they first repent, and that repentance prepares for the forgiveness of sins.  It is true that repentance does precede the forgiveness of sins; for it is only the broken and contrite heart that will feel the need of a Savior.  But must the sinner wait until he has repented before he can come to Jesus?  Is repentance to be made an obstacle between the sinner and the Savior?
     The Bible does not teach that the sinner must repent before he can heed the invitation of Christ, 'Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28.  It is the virtue that goes forth from Christ, that leads to genuine repentance. Peter made the matter clear in his statement to the Israelites when he said, 'Him hath God exalteth on His right hand to be a Prince and a Savior, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.'  Acts 5:31.  We can no more repent without the Spirit of Christ to awaken the conscience than we can be pardoned without Christ.
     Christ is the source of every right impulse.  He is the only One who can implant in the heart, the enmity against sin.  Every desire for truth and purity, every conviction of our own sinfulness, is an evidence that His Spirit is moving upon the hearts."

Is Christ moving upon your hearts today?  He said, 'I, if I be lifted up from the earth, I will draw all men unto me.'  Is He drawing your heart to Him.  I pray that He is.  He is drawing my heart day by day through these little worship sessions that I am having with you.  Grandma Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment