Sunday, February 22, 2015

Gardening

How many of you love to garden. I can't wait until spring when I can get my hands in the soil.  There is something about it that soothes the nerves and gratifies the heart to plant seeds and see them sprout and grow into something beautiful, either food or flowers.  I love to do both.

When I was young in my early 3o's I had a surgery that left me a nervous wreck and my aunt being a nurse when she found out about it, told me to get outdoors and get my hands in the dirt and that's exactly what I did and have done it ever since to my great delight.  It works wonders for the nervous person.  I've never had problems since to a great degree.

Every time we sow a seed we receive a harvest of some kind, don't we.  I am thinking about sowing seeds of compassion, sympathy and love.  The Bible says, "whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap."  Galatians 6:7.   If we are sowing seeds of compassion, sympathy and love, we will reap a beautiful harvest of the same quality.

If we sow seeds of envy, anger, and dissension we will reap the same, it will spring up in a "root of bitterness, whereby many shall be defiled".  Hebrews 12:15.  Thus sowing good and evil seeds goes on for a lifetime.

"Blessed are they that sow beside all waters".  Isaiah 32:20.  This means that you will be imparting God's gifts wherever or whenever the opportunity of a need arises.  Then in 2 Corinthians 9:6 it says, "He that soweth sparingly, shall reap sparingly, and he that soweth bountifully, shall reap bountifully."

I think about my garden and how much I enjoy tending to the tender little plants that sprout up and how much joy there is in seeing the bountiful results if I have taken good care of the seeds that I have planted.  If I neglect the seeds and don't water and weed around them,  I will reap sparingly even if I reap anything at all.  The seeds need to be cared for and it is the same with our sowing seeds of character, they need to be nourished, watered and all the detrimental weeds pulled up that would destroy the beautiful character seeds that I have sown.

What a lesson on seed sowing, either in my garden in the yard or in the garden of my heart.  I pray that I may always sow seeds of kindness, love and compassion.  Life is too short to sow anything else.
May God help us to be sowing the best seeds we can sow and we will reap the best harvest.  Grandma Joan.

No comments:

Post a Comment