Saturday, January 20, 2018

Benevolent Love - Part 54

You may be asking, "What is this benevolent love?"  Benevolent love is a holy love, it is a giving love it is a divine love.  Earthly love is usually just the opposite, isn't it?  It is selfish; it loves in order to receive love, and there is usually a selfish motive behind it.  By way of contrast, benevolent love gives without expecting anything in return.  Have you ever experienced that kind of love?  Every believer experienced that kind of love in the church at Ephesus.  (You can read about it in Revelation 2:1-7.) Today when someone does something nice. invariably someone is going to be saying, "Ha, I wonder what he's after?"  Or, "I know why she did that!"

These suspicions were nonexistent in the church of Ephesus, for "every Christian saw in his brother the divine similitude of benevolence and love.  One interest prevailed.  One object swallowed up all others..."  What was that object?  It was the one we have been studying about, the one object, the one object that will prevail again. What was it?  It was to reveal the righteousness of Christ's character.  "One interest prevailed.  One object swallowed up all others.  All hearts beat in harmony."  Isn't that beautiful?  All hearts beat in harmony.  The only ambition of the believers was to reveal the likeness of Christ's character. Did you notice that?  The ambition of the believers wasn't to outdo one another;   Their only ambition was to reveal the character of Christ--there was no competition!  Every believer was only seeking to do one thing: to reveal the likeness of Jesus perfectly!  And then it goes on to say, "and to labor for the enlargement of (Christ's) kingdom  "The multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul...With great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus; and great grace was upon the all.'  Acts 4:32,33.

Have you ever experienced Benevolent Love?  I have, just in the last year or so.  I was impressed to make lacy scarves for some of the ladies in the church, I haven't counted how many I've given away it isn't important anyway.  I have expected nothing in return but have made many friends as the result of my giving. I didn't realize God had answered my prayers with love of others.  Now I realize what He has done for me.  He has filled my heart with love for others, in and out of the church.   I have a ways to go but He is certainly working on my heart to purify me and getting me ready to spend eternity with Him and I am so thankful He answers prayer.  If we bring our lives into harmony with Him, He will hear our prayers and answer them. There are always conditions to answered prayer and the main one is to be in harmony with Christ and His will for us, and we have a guide in the ten commandments.  Grandma Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment