Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Understanding Jesus' Words - Part 42

Now in John 15:9 we find Jesus' words:  "As the Father hath loved Me, so have I loved you."

Have you ever thought about what Jesus was saying here?  Here are some of the pertinent facts:  He was speaking at the very end of His life.  He was going to die in just a few short hours; and the disciples were going to completely misunderstand what was going on.  In spite of al that, we find Him saying, "As the Father hath love Me, so have I loved you: continue ye in My love".  John 15:9.

Have you ever tried to share something with someone who doesn't believe what you are talking about, and find as a consequence that the individual not only misunderstands, but doesn't get the message at all?  If you have, then you can appreciate the challenge Jesus was facing.  He said, "As the Father has loved Me, so I have loved you: continue ye in My love."

In just a few hours the disciples were going to see their beloved Master hanging on the cross.  What would keep them from thinking the Father didn't love them?  What would prevent them from misapplying what they thought they had heard Jesus saying--but didn't understand--and therefore from completely misunderstanding His death?  What would keep this misunderstanding from occurring?  His words!  Their hope would be in His words.  What were those words?  The words that He had been telling them all along regarding the things that would happen.  That's why He said, "These thing have I told you, that when the time shall come, ye may remember that I told you of them."  John 16:4.

I would like to apply this lesson in a little different way too, just to add another thought.  The thought is, 'His Words'.  Reading His Words, is what sanctifies us, His Words, teach us the way in which we should walk, His Words teach us what Sin is, His Words teach us about Heaven and Living Forever with Him.  There are a lot of misunderstanding of His Words today and thats why we have so many religions in the world today.  Take the Bible just as it reads, don't try to apply it to your culture, or make it sound like it approves of your sin, take it as it reads and apply it directly to your life as it is right now.  I am pretty sure all of us need improvements of some kind.  I know I do and one thing I love about the Christian life is, it's a real challenge, and I love challenges.  How about you?  
Grandma Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment