Saturday, January 27, 2018

That My Joy Might Remain in You - Part 61

"These things I have spoken unto you, that My joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full".  John 15:11.

We could so easily spend another evening on what we've been talking about, because it is so hard for us to grasp the power that comes through the indwelling presence of Christ.  Do you realize that Jesus doesn't want you going through life restraining badness, but experiencing the power that comes through His indwelling?  Now, Jesus adds, "These things have I spoken unto you,"--I've counseled you, I've guided you, I've told you these things--"that My joy might remain in you."

In Jesus' day, they didn't understand His joy, and I don't think we understand His joy any better in our day.  In our day joy is often equated with frivolity, and we think of a "slap happy" person.  We admire people who are silly, we like people who create laughter, and in fact sometimes describe these people as the "life of the party".  That's what we call joy.

But Christ's joy was different.  His joy drew little children to come and sit on His lap, for they were naturally attracted to Him and His authentic love.  The adults of His day were also attracted by His love, regardless of their culture, their standing, their gender, or any other cultural dividing line that might have existed.  Desiring Him they went from place to place to find and be with Him.  Why?  Because they were attracted by His love, because they were attracted by His joy.  The joy that attracted them to Jesus was the kind He referred to when He said, "That My joy might remain in you."  John 15:11.

What then was Christ's joy?  It was seeing people recognize in Him the reflection of His Father--something they weren't seeing in anyone else--and knowing He was accomplishing His Father's will for Him. His joy wasn't ego-centered.  No, it was all about reflecting His Father's image.  Our joy will come in the same way: reflecting the image of Jesus, So Jesus accordingly asks,  "Would you like to experience the joy that comes from reflecting My image?

I can't think of a better thing to do.  Jesus needs to be our all in all, every moment of every day.  I want to reflect His image, don't you?  I'm learning to love like Jesus loves and it has brought great joy to my life, but I'm just learning, I probably have a long way to go and I can just imagine the great joy my heart will have when He is finished with me.  Actually, I don't think He is ever finished with us.  He wants His joy to remain in us and I want it to remain in me and grow into the image of Jesus.
Grandma Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment