Friday, January 12, 2018

The Vine's Loving Friendship - Part 45

"Greater love hath no man than this.  That a man lay down his life for his friends.  Ye are My friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you".  John 15:13,14

Jesus was beginning to gently talk with His disciples about giving one's life, because He would be giving His Own  life in just a few hours.  Now remember, the disciples were convinced that Jesus wasn't going to die--at least their minds were not open to such a possibility at the time.  They did not believe He was going to give His life, and were totally shocked when He did.  but in this part of His conversation Jesus went beyond taking about the physical part of giving oneself, to also talking about the great love demonstrated in this giving.  It is worth noting that this was the first time Jesus spoke to His disciples as 'friends".

Notice what Andrew Murray says about this demonstration of love in his book "The True Vine".

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.  Christ does indeed long to have us know that the secret root and strength of all He is and does for us as the Vine is love.  As we learn to believe this, we shall feel that here is something which we not only need to think and know about, but a living power, a divine life which we need to receive within us."

This love, this form of love--is a mysterious power and influence that saturates the Scriptures, and is present from Genesis to Revelation.  Yet it is of such a subtle nature that it is easy too be confused about it.  It doesn't help that modern society has confused our thinking on the subject of love by constantly bombarding us with a counterfeit form of love.

Why are we confused?  Because we think the power of love has something to do with emotion--strong emotion--that reveals itself and is persuasive in its power.  True love, however, doesn't demonstrate it's power in self-centered persuasiveness, but rather in giving itself, it doesn't manifest itself in receiving, but in giving.  Real love is just the opposite of what we see in the world around us, and the epitome of real love according to John 15:13 is laying down one's life for others!Total giving is total loving!  Love is never about satisfying self, nor is it about receiving for oneself.  It's never about accumulating or hoarding, either; for it is always giving of itself; which is just the opposite of what man thinks.

Quoting Andrew Murray again:  "As we learn to believe this, we shall feel that here is something which we not only need to think and know about, but a living power, a divine life which we need to receive within us."

As I read this study and typed it in, I thought about my own life,  why do I give, I love to give but what is behind my giving?  I'm not sure but I am sure that God will show me if it is a selfish giving, which I hope it isn't but I'm not sure.  I make fluffy, lacy scarves and give to ladies in the church and have made many friends that way and now I am making them for new members, why do I do it?  I think one reason is, I want them to feel welcomed into our church.  I was going to make some for myself but I always give them away when I see someone that I think would like them.  So consequently I don't have any for myself except a couple left overs which I wear occasionally.  I want to know if it is a selfish giving or not.  I really hope it isn't because I love doing it. I love people and I believe that God put that love in my heart because I didn't use to be like that.  So if you ask Him to give you His kind of love, I'm sure He will, He has done it for me, yet I know I've been a selfish person, always looking out for me so I want to be sure this is an unselfish act.  May we all love like Jesus does and our life will be full of joy and peace, three of the fruits that Jesus wants us to have.  Grandma Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment