Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Pharisee's Prayer

Luke 18:10-12  "Two men went up to the temple to pray one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.  The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, 'God, I thank You that I am not like other men--extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector.  I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess."

MB 6  "In the days of Christ the religious leaders of the people felt that they were rich in spiritual treasure.  The prayer of the Pharisee, "God, I thank Thee, that I am not as the rest of men.'  Luke 18:11, expressed the feeling of his class and, to a great degree, of the whole nation.  But in the throng that surrounded Jesus there were some who had a sense of their spiritual poverty.  When in the miraculous draft of fishes the divine power of Christ was revealed, Peter fell at the Saviour's feet, exclaiming, 'Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord.  Luke 5:8; so in the multitude gathered upon the mount there were souls who, in the presence of His purity, felt that they were 'wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked' Revelation 3:17; and they longed for 'the grace of God that bringeth salvation' Titus 2:11.  In these souls, Christ's words of greeting awakened hope; they saw that their lives were under the benediction of God."

There is hope in Jesus for all of us.  We need to feel our need of a Savior and He accepts us as sons and daughters.  I want to be in his family, don't you?  Grandma Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment