Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Bible Prayers to Inspire You

Have you ever heard someone's prayer and you just knew they were talking to God?  Or have you heard a prayer that went on and on and you couldn't wait till they quit rambling on and on.  I have heard both and frankly I love to hear honest heartfelt prayers.  One time there was an old man in our church and it was prayer meeting and anyone could pray that wanted to and when it came his time, all he said was, 'God be merciful to me a sinner'.  I was stunned, because quite frankly I didn't think he thought he was a sinner.  His prayer brought me to my senses.  Some prayers have so much meaning and to those that don't, I can't be the judge, a simple prayer means just as much to God and maybe more than a flowery speech.  I would like to share some Bible prayers that we can copy if you think its worthwhile.  I love David's prayer when he prayed, 'Create in me a clean heart, O God and renew a right spirit within me.'  We could all pray that prayer and gain much from it.  I have been praying it lately and believe that God is answering.

1 Chronicles 4:10  "And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, 'Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil.  That I may cause no pain!'  What a prayer!  Couldn't we all prayer that prayer and be blessed.

Psalm 51:1-17  NIV  "Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions.  Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.  For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me.  Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight; so you are right in your verdict ad justified when you judge.  Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.  Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb; you taught me wisdom in that secret place.  Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean' wash me and I will be whiter than snow. Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice.  Hide you face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity.  Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.  Do not cast me from your presence or take you Holy Spirit from me.  Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.  Then I will teach transgressors your ways, so that sinners will turn back to you.  Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God, you who are God my Savior, and my tongue will sing of your righteousness. Open my lips, Lord, and my mouth will declare your praise.  You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.  My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart you, O God, will not despise."
I am not thinking that we should pray this complete prayer but I do think there are portions of it that are pertinent to each of us and it would do us well to contemplate it very closely.  David prayed this prayer after he had an affair with Bathsheba and also had her husband killed to cover his sin.  We don't all do these kind of sins, but the prayer does show his sorrow for what he had done and his confession was in earnest.  I love this prayer, he trusted God to keep His promise to forgive and heal his transgressions and I know He did because of how David lived after that.

John 17: 1-25 is Jesus prayer that is so beautiful.  I will let you read it, but wanted to emphasize verse 20-23  "My prayer is not for them alone.  I pray also for those who will believe in Me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you.  May they also be in Us so that the world may believe that You have sent Me.  I have given them the glory that You gave me, that they may be one as We are one--so that they may be brought to complete unity.  Then the world will know that You sent me and have love them even as You have loved me."
He prayed for you and me and all those who believe on Him through the Disciples word.  That really strengthens me to know that He prayed for me.  I truly believe that. I hope it does the same for you.

Job 7:10  "After Job had prayed for his friends, the Lord made him prosperous again and gave him twice as much as he had before."  I love the story of Job, he suffered so much and his friends caused him to suffer more by blaming him for his troubles.  If you are not familiar with this story, please read it, it is a healing story of how Job forgave his friends and was blessed abundantly afterward.  We can all learn from Job's story, there is something for everyone in this story.  

If you have been blessed by my blogs, it would be nice to hear a comment or two from you.  I have had several comments in the past but none recently but I know you are reading and that is wonderful and makes me very happy.  I love God and want to share my blessings and what knowledge I have with others.  I do pray you are being blessed day by day.  Grandma Joan



No comments:

Post a Comment