Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Self-Control, a Much Needed Character Trait

Oh, Oh, Maybe we want to control ourselves, but did you know that it is a necessary trait for us to have Christ dwelling in our temple?  I believe that if we let Christ abide in us as we have studied in a past study, that we will have self-control.  It is not possible for us to control our self without Christ's strength dwelling in us, it is totally impossible, but with Him all things are possible.  I have learned this, you could say the hard way.  I grew up believing that I had to earn my salvation by works of some kind.  And when I learned that if I surrender my will to Him, He does the work in me, I was so overwhelmed with that thought, it was such a relief, then I had to learn to lean on Christ to do the works in me and not me trying to earn my salvation by struggling away, trying to figure out what I can do.  God puts it in my heart and mind what He wants me to do and I have failed a few times and not obeyed His desires for me but when I do listen and let Him lead, I am so happy and life is so much sweeter.  It hasn't been that long that I have known that I didn't have to earn my salvation and it was such a great relief to me.  I have had to learn to surrender to His will in order to do His works but it is a pleasure.  Lets see what the Scriptures say about self-control.

Self-control Over the Spirit

Proverbs 16:32  "He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that rules his spirit than he that takes a city."
               What a contrast to one who is slow to anger and rules his own spirit.  We can all take heed to these words, can't we?

Self-control Over the Life

Acts 24:25  "And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered.  Go thy way for this time, when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee."
             Is it wise to wait for a convenient time to give our hearts to God and live for Him?  Most usually the convenient time never comes, because we are so busy doing our own things and don't give it much thought.

Self-control Over the Lusts of the Flesh

Romans 6:12  "Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof."
             For some, the lust of the flesh is a terrible addiction and takes the power of God to help us through it.  As with any addiction the same is true.

Self-control Over the Tongue

James 3:2  "For in many things we offend all.  If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body."
             What an enlightening statement.  Our tongue can be a world of evil.  I have known quite a few people in my life time that couldn't control their tongue and one of those people was me.  I don't like to admit that but the tongue is a powerful tool for good or for evil.  Let's make sure that Christ controls our tongue.  Shall we?  Then if Christ controls our tongue, we will be a perfect example to others.  Yes, I like that.

Self-control a Cardinal Virtue

2 Peter 1:5,6,7  "And besides this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, and to virtue, knowledge; and to knowledge, temperance, and to temperance, patience; and to patience, godliness, and to godliness, brotherly kindness: and to brotherly kindness, charity."
             Giving diligence, and adding faith and virtue, knowledge, temperance which is self-control, patience, godliness, brotherly kindness and charity, which is love, takes self-control doesn't it and how do we get self-control, by letting Christ dwell within us, and being willing to be made willing should be our prayer.  Grandma Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment