Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Promises for the Elderly

There is a common saying that says something like this:  'Old age is not for sissies.'  I guess to some extent they, whoever 'they' are, are right, it is hard to grow old and feeble too.  I have always been a workaholic and still am in my mind but to do everything my mind tells me needs done is not possible any more.  I do try but it can get discouraging at times when this body just won't cooperate with my will to do.

I must admit that I need encouragement to continue on in this life because of my physical condition.  So this morning I have looked up some texts that really have been encouraging.  God doesn't want us to be discouraged just because we are climbing up there in years, He wants us to have joy and happiness in serving Him no matter how old we are.  So let's check out some texts and promises that are just for us.

David is pleading with God in Psalm 71:9  "Do not cast me off in the time of old age; Do not forsake me when my strength fails."  Also in Psalm 71:18  "Now also when I am old and grey headed, O God, do not forsake me, until I declare Your strength to this generation.  Your power to everyone who is to come."  According to this, maybe God has some work for me yet.  I pray that He does.

Psalm 92:14  "They shall still bear fruit in old age; they shall be fresh and flourishing, to declare that the Lord is upright;  He is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him."   Now that is what I call encouraging!!

Proverbs 16:31  "The silver-haired head is a crown of glory, if it is found in the way of righteousness." O, may I be found in the way of righteousness, so that I may be a crown of glory to my Lord and Savior.

This is the Ultimate promise to me:  Isaiah 46:4  "Even to your old age, I am He, And even to gray hairs I will carry you!  I have made, and I will bear; Even I will carry, and will deliver you."  Can you think of a better promise than that?

I am so encouraged this morning from reading these promises and instructions for me, I hope that it has been an encouragement to you if you are elderly or maybe you know someone that could use this encouragement.  Please bless others with this hope too.  Grandma Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment