Friday, January 23, 2015

Unworthy?

Some folks do not like the idea that they are not worthy.  I have thought about that a lot for years and I find it very difficult after years of pondering the subject to believe that I am worthy of anything. What have I done to be worthy of eternal life? what have I done to deserve the love of God and His mercy? I can't think of a thing that I have done to be deserving of any good thing at all.  I've tried to think about it and there just isn't anything to make me deserving of the least of His favors.

I would like to quote a story from the Bible that you are probably familiar with but maybe you haven't seen it in this manner.

Matthew 8:5-11  "Now when Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to Him, pleading with Him, saying, 'Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, dreadfully tormented.'  And Jesus said to him , 'I will come and heal him.'  The centurion answered and said, 'Lord, I am not worthy that you should come under my roof.  But only speak a word, and my servant will be healed.  'For I also am a man under authority, having soldiers under me.  And I say to this one, 'Go', and he goes; and to another, 'Come,' and he comes; and to my servant, 'Do this,' and he does it.'  When Jesus heard it, He marveled, and said to those who followed, 'Assuredly, I say to you, I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel!"

What was it that showed Jesus of his great faith?  He said that he was not worthy for Jesus to come to his home, but to just speak the word and his servant would be healed.  Even though he was a man of authority, he still was humbled before Jesus.  He did not feel worthy for Jesus to step foot in his home.  Just speak the word and the servant would be healed.

How many of us when we ask a favor of Jesus are humbled by being in His presence and feel our unworthiness.  It is when we feel our great need and are humbled by His presence in our life that we have the answers to our prayers.

Micah 6:8  "He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?"

How are we to walk?  Humbly with our God.  Are you willing to humble yourself and admit your unworthiness to Jesus so He can answer your prayers.  This is great faith, Jesus said, great faith.
Do you have great faith?  I want this kind of faith and I truly with all my heart want to walk humbly with my God.  How about you?  Grandma Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment