Saturday, September 14, 2013

A Different Slant on Selfishness

Most people when they think of selfishness think of not sharing or taking something when someone else needs it worse.  There are so many traits of selfishness, I know that I can't cover them all but there is one that may not be thought of as being selfish that really is.  This is the thought for today's study.

I experienced it that is why I need the study on it.  Pretty revealing to say the least.  Have you ever thought that when you get upset, it is usually because someone didn't please you.  Or when someone gets angry with you or someone else, it is because they were not pleased with what you or someone else did.  If it doesn't please ME, who am I thinking about, the other person or my self?  If I get upset with someone, why am I upset, it is because they did something that didn't please ME.

Did you ever think that maybe this is a very common form of selfishness?  It is very common and when you think about it, it is very selfish.  Did you know that jealousy is a fruit of selfishness?  Also stubbornness too?
If you are jealous of anyone it is usually because they have something that YOU want or need.  If you are stubborn, it is usually because YOU are not getting YOUR way.

When I thought of this and am thinking about just now, I see that I have some surrendering to do.  I need to surrender my selfish nature entirely to Christ and let Him take control of my nature.  I can see that I am not what Jesus wants me to be and by His grace I will give it to Him.

Selfishness means loving one's self first.  The Bible does have some things to say about this, let's see what they are.

Philippians 2:21  "For all seek their own, not the things which are of Christ Jesus.  Self-seeking.

2 Timothy 3:2  "For men will be lovers of themselves..."

THE REMEDY

1 Corinthians 10:24  "Let no one seek his own, but each one the other;s well being."  Seeking the good of others.
Philippians 1:21  "For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."  Putting Christ first in our lives.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8  "Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity; but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.  LOVE never fails.

Seeking others well being, putting Christ first and by manifesting love to others, we can get rid of the selfishness in our natures.  It sounds like a hard job doesn't it?  Actually the hard part is surrendering our natures to Christ to be made over in His image.  He does the work if we give ourselves to Him.  Most of us want to hang on to our worldly natures and don't want to give them up to be transformed into His image.

Let us seek the good of others and not ourselves and put Christ first and I am sure we will be a much happier people, don't you think?  This was heavy for me, but I needed it very much.  Thank you for listening
or having part in my worship this morning.  I hope it was a great help to you as it has been to me.
Grandma Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment