Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Transforming our Communication

I like to visit with people, how about you?  I think I am becoming one who really enjoys being alone and I am not sure I like that but I have noticed that when I am with family any part of my family, I really enjoy that to the fullest.  I am recovering from my husband's death even though I still miss him and at times wonder if I am recovering but I know that I am and God has been so good to me.  I do miss having someone to lean on and talk to who understands me and where I am coming from but as a whole I am doing fine.

Today I was impressed with the thought that our communication needs some transforming, I don't know about you but I am sure I will benefit from this study and hope everyone else does too.

It is very easy to fall into the trap of having some favorite 'by words' so to speak, I use to have quite a few to be honest with you and most of them didn't make any sense at all and I noticed that people I was around would pick them up from me and it started me thinking about what I was saying.  Have you noticed that?
Right now I am talking about innocent phrases that pop out without thinking but then there are other words that are not so innocent, such as using God's name in vain when the Bible is so very clear about that in the Commandments in Exodus 20;7  "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him Guiltless who takes His name in vain."  God's name is on the lips of so many these days that it actually makes me cringe with horror when I think of the end results of using it so frivolously.  He is a Holy God and worthy of our reverence and our praise but certainly not using His name in a frivolous manner.

Then there is the filthy words that come out of people's mouths and I can't understand why.  Why do people fall for the filth of this world as their bases of communication?  In fact I have heard words that I haven't even known the meaning of until someone explained it to me.

Ephesians 4:29  "Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."  Our speech should impart grace to others who are listening.  I pray that mine does.

I use to think it was smart to say catchy phrases and sometimes it caused me to get attention and that was great too.  But the more I study the Word of God the more I am conscious of what I say or repeat of what others say.

God knew what the world was coming to and so  He gave us all the cautions to protect us from falling into the devil's trap.  Like this one:
Colossians 3:8-10  "But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth.  Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds, and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him."

That about covers it doesn't it?  Blasphemy means to speak of in an irreverent, impious manner, so any time we use God's name or any thing concerning the Godhead, in an irreverent way, we are blaspheming His Holy name.  It gives me the shivers to think that I could be guilty of such a thing.  I truly pray that you are not.

Here is what our words should be:
Psalms 18:14  "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer."

I hope this little study helped you as much as it has me, I don't want my speech to belittle my Best Friend in the sight of others.  What must they think of me if I do this, my light wouldn't shine very far, would it?

I have to tell you a little story about my eldest son, he was out in the world living a hard life and I probably wouldn't want to know it all, but one day he called me and said, 'Mom, I really want to be a Christian but I don't know how', and I tried my best to tell him to lay all his sins at the foot of the cross and ask God to take them and then tell him how sorry you are that you have hurt Him like you have.  This he did, and he called me back and told me that when he had called me, he was craving a smoke so bad his lungs were hurting and he finally gave in to my suggestion and he said that immediately it left him and never came back.  He also said that when he went to work the next day that a huge piece of wood fell on his foot and normally a whole long list of bad words would come out and all he said was 'ouch' and it startled him to think that God had even cleaned up his language and his chewing and his drinking and drugs and made a new person out of him right then and there.  God is such an amazing God, when we mean what we say, He means what He says and His promises come true in our life.  Why not let him clean up your life in such an amazing way?  He will do it.
Grandma Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment