Monday, September 9, 2013

Weakness is it OK or Not

I am a weak one in lots of ways and I do have a strong point here and there but Spiritually I am really weak, I have to depend on Christ all the time, do you think it's OK to do that?  My husband taught me to be very independent soon after we were married, or I should say tried to, but what it did do for me, it took away some of my timidity and then we bought a nursing home and I became independent as the years went by,  and it took away my shyness and I had to do things I never thought was possible for me.  Like hiring, firing and bossing people around,  it was the hardest thing I ever tried to accomplish but when we sold it, I realized that I didn't like the person I had become, have you ever felt that way? I detested what I had become, I liked the timid, dependent person I use to be.

I asked the Lord to help me go back and become a quiet, not too timid and not too independent person.  That's what God did for me, it took a while, some times we have to work through things to get where we want to go.  I did a lot of that, believe me and now I have been alone for two years or more and I am going to have to work on getting out more and associating more with other people.  Seems like there is always something to work on or to let God work on in my life, but I sort of enjoy his pruning, and hope He keeps it up until I am where He wants me to be and what He wants me to be.

So what does this have to do with weakness, well, we can have a strong character that God has to deal with to let us see how weak we really are.  In other words, I can be stubborn, which I am, and I can be strong headed, which I have been and probably still are to some extent.  I am not saying that stubborn is all that bad if we are standing up for God, we need a stubborn attribute and strong headed is the same.

But when it comes to our Spiritual life, and resisting temptation, that's another story, we aren't so strong then, are we?

2 Corinthians 12:10  "Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake.  For when I am weak, then I am strong."  Notice, all those things are for Christ's sake.  Not for our sake.

2 Corinthians 12:9  "And He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.  Therefore I take pleasure in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me",  O, did I ever need that one.  I need to take pleasure in my infirmities.  That is hard to do, but He will help me, I am sure of that, if He says we should take pleasure in them, then I need to learn that lesson.

Isaiah 40:29  "He gives power to the weak, and to those who have no might He increases strength.  (verses 30, 31 are great words of encouragement.)  Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall,, but those who wait on the Lord Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint."  Isn't that a great promise, especially for those of us who have infirmities, I would love to walk again for exercise, it would be a grand thing for me and I think many others.  I am waiting for that day, I hope patiently.

Matthew 26:41  "Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation, The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."  We can have a very willing spirit but our carnal nature is very weak and we cannot resist temptation without the power of Christ in our lives.  I am so glad that we have His help against temptation.  He says that His strength is made perfect in our weakness.  So we can become strong through Him.  Is that right?

I can see that I have some surrendering to do, how about you?  May the power of Christ rest upon us so that we may  become strong through HIS strength.  To answer the Title question, I believe it is OK to be weak as long as we let His strength strengthen us, we don't want to be so strong that we don't feel our need of Him.  So it's OK to be weak as long as we recognize our weakness and ask for His strength to replace our weakness.  Have a great day in His strength.!!!!  Grandma Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment