Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Learning Self-Control

I believe that God hit the nail on the head when He impressed me to do this study.  I really need to learn to control myself in all situations, how about you?  I think the hardest area for me is probably appetite, I have what I should eat down pretty pat, but I love to nibble and I don't have that down so pat, but it is much better.  I think because that is where sin began in this world on appetite, that it is the hardest sin to overcome.

There are lots of forms of appetite, food, beverages, sex, money, speech, and other things that you probably can think of that doesn't cross my mind just now.  It takes self-control to become victorious over anyone or all of these and more.  So what is the answer to self-control.  I am anxious to find out.

Jesus healed the demon possessed man of the Gadarenes and he received control of himself once again.  In Luke 8:35.  And in 2 Peter 1:6 Self-control is one of the Christian graces.  If we are truly a Christian, we will have self-control or at least be letting God Sanctify us through His Spirit so that we will have have self-control.

Ruling one's spirit takes self-control.

Colossians 3:14-17  "But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection.  And let the peace of God rule in your hearts to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful.  Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.  And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Romans 12:3  "For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith."
1 Corinthians 9:27  "But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified."

It takes self-control to not think more highly of ourselves than we ought, especially when we have made some great achievement and also it takes self-control to discipline our bodies and bring them into subjection to Christ who wants us to be healthy and happy.

The only way as I see it, that we can have self-control is through entire submission to Christ's way of  life and He is the ONLY One who can give us that kind of self-control.

I am going to ask you a hard question.  Do you really want self-control?  If you do, you can have it through Christ who 'supplies all our need according to His riches in glory'.  Philippiians 4:19.  I want to have a lot more self-control than I have and I am praying that God will give me the grace of self-control.  I thank Him for showing me what I need this morning.  I hope it was a blessing to you.  Grandma Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment