Monday, December 14, 2015

Beating Depression

This time in this worlds history, there seems to be a lot of depressed people and I have to admit that I have been there a few times, the worse time was when I was losing my husband in his long term sickness, even though you know it's coming you are never prepared.  But before that when ever I would feel a little down I would remember that somewhere I heard that if you picked up your Bible and started reading the depressive feelings would leave, so I thought I would try it.  I don't remember the incident that caused my low point but I certainly remember what happened when I started reading the Bible, the depression just vanished like a cloud would evaporate, and it was gone.   I haven't always remembered to do that and that is kind of what this post is all about.

James 4: 6,7,8 "But He gives more grace, therefore He says; 'God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.  Therefore submit to God.  Resist the devil and he will flee from you, Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.  Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded."

Isn't that a great message for a depressed person to read?  This is how I interpret it for myself.  When we are sick with depression we must remember that God gives more grace to the one who humbly comes to him seeking help and when we open His Word, the devil flees and the cloud is lifted and reading His word will cleanse us and purify our hearts and we won't be double-minded any more.
Double-minded means 'the inability to hold to a fixed belief', I guess you would say we are wishy washy in our belief, believing something one day and the next day changing our mind.  That sounds double-minded doesn't it?

If you are depressed and need help, try this solution and see if it doesn't help you in your down time.  It sure does mine.  Right now I am sick from black mold spores and didn't sleep last night but I wanted to share with you how I beat depression and it always works for me.  I am sure someone reading this needs it desperately or it wouldn't have come to my mind to post it. So if that is you, please try it and let God take it away, it is the tool of the devil to try and keep us down.  God's word has a way of scaring him away and I am so glad.  Also another way is to sing hymns, the devil doesn't like that either, but when a person is depressed he really doesn't feel like singing usually, so reading is easier and then you can burst into song.  May God help you try this, it really works.  Grandma Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment