Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Promises to instill the desire to serve others.

I have always loved serving others, all my adult life.  I love having friends over and serving them in anyway I can.  I had four children that I loved to serve and steer in the right path.  Not that I was the best mother in the world, I know I wasn't, I had many faults but God has been good to me.  We bought a Nursing Home when I was in my early thirties and I loved to serve my patients, I worked on the floor with the others and it was so fulfilling.  After that I did foster care for the elderly in my home and there I was serving again. then we volunteered for a ministry and was serving again.  Then my life hit a downhill road and I didn't know what to do with myself when I became disabled to quite an extent.  My mind started working again and I remembered that years ago my husband and I went to Portland Oregon and fed and clothed the street people, serving again and just recently I was so upset that I wasn't serving anyone, my son and I decided to make sandwiches and take juice and  went to town to feed the homeless here.  There are so very many, maybe 30, so we make 30 sandwiches and take juice and we are making friends with the homeless here and it is the joy of my life.  I know that serving others is a talent God has given me and I love doing it and we are making friends downtown and really it is a lot of fun.  So I am going to encourage you to try serving others for a pastime, it brings me joy and makes my life more meaningful.  Check our these verses:

Matthew 25: 34-36  'Then the King will say to those on His right hand, 'Come, ye blessed of My Father,  inherit the kingdom I have prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hungry and you gave me food; I was thirsty and you gave me drink; I was a stranger and you took me in; I was naked and you clothed me; I was sick and you visited me; I was in prison and you came to me."   Most of us are not able to do all those things, but we can do some of them, even if it is one thing, it is done as unto the Lord when we do it.

Acts 10: 38  "Jesus went about doing good. . . .for God was with Him."

1 Corinthians 3: 9  "We are laborers together with God."

Ephesians 6: 7, 8.  "With goodwill, doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men, knowing that whatever good anyone does, he will receive the same from the Lord, whether he is a slave or free."

There are many blessings in serving others, the joy that it brings my heart is probably one of the best blessings I receive from serving.  God has many rewards for those that serve, start out small and the longer you do it, the more blessings you will receive. Today is the day that we feed the homeless, I am looking forward to it, my highlight of the week.  Grandma Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment