Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Mind Cure

A true story of a young man named Bill--Bill fried his brains on drugs.  When he woke up in the hospital, he had to be told his name repeatedly because he couldn't remember it.  A Christian lady who worked at the hospital took him to her home to recover.  She and her husband led Bill to Christ.  He decided that he needed to know some of the Word of God in order to be an effective Christian.  He began to memorize Scripture, he started with the book of Romans and it would take two weeks and sometimes three to remember one verse but he kept at it.  He memorized the  book of Romans, James and was working on Hebrews.  Bill claims it was the healing, restorative power of the Word that gave him back his mind.

I believe that there is power in the Word, lot's of power, if we would only put it to memory, or just read it to start with and then find promises to memorize, I know it takes effort and lots of it to start with but it becomes easier as we go along.  I have done quite a bit of memory work but not near enough, I remember one time I memorized the first seven chapters of Revelation and wish so often that I had kept it up, one of memory lanes memories that I wish I had done better at.  Here are some encouraging verses to help you know the importance of memorization.

Psalms 119:10,11  "With my whole heart I have sought You; Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments!  Your word have I hidden in my heart that I might not sin against You."

Verse 16,  "I will delight myself in Your statutes;  I will not forget Your word."

Verse 97,  "Oh, how I love Your law!  It is my meditation all the day"

Proverbs 4:4  "He also taught me, and said to me; Let your heart retain my words, Keep my commands, and live."
Proverbs 4:20-23  "My son, give attention to my words;  Incline your ear to my sayings,  Do not let them depart from your eyes;  Keep them in the midst of your heart;  For they are life to those who find them, and health to all their flesh.  Keep your heart with all diligence."

Colossians 3:16  "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms, and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."

1 Timothy 4:15  "Meditate on these things; give yourself entirely to them, that your progress may be evident to all."

Hebrews 2:1-3  "Therefore we must give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard, lest we drift away.  For if the word spoken through angels proved steadfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just reward, how shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation, which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed to us by those who heard Him."

There are a lot more verses on memorizing the scriptures, but I don't want to burden you with too many, so this is enough to let you know how important filling our minds with His word is.  I am working on Isaiah 58 right now and only have the first one down pat and the second verse partly down.  I repeat psalms 103: 1-5 when I go to bed at night, it is such a good text to memorize, there is so much in this text that I needed, I just committed it to memory so I could say it whenever I needed it.

I know that memorizing texts helps heal our minds and of course satan does not like it when we store these up in our minds, so he gives us all kinds of excuses why we can't.  It's too hard, I don't have the mind to do it, I've never been good at memorizing, I don't have time and many others. What's your excuse, mine was I think I am getting too old, but of course that was another lie of the devils.  So let's get our minds on the road to healing and it will also be healing to body, soul and spirit.  Grandma Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment