Wednesday, July 31, 2013

What is Prayer?

Have you ever wondered what prayer really is or even  if when we pray anyone hears us even if we are praying just in our heart and not out loud, it never crossed my mind to wonder about that because I was raised in a Semi-Christian home and never questioned prayer, but since becoming an adult, I think I might have thought about it once or twice.  How about you?  I have some answers for you and it also is blessing me because even though I never questioned prayer, I have had questions about prayer and the whys and where-fores.  Such as 'if He hears me, why no answers?'  And yet I know He hears because I have had so many answers that definitely proves He has heard.  I may share one or two with you now and then.

What is prayer?  A favorite author of mine has said that 'prayer is the opening of the heart to God.'  The Bible says in Psalms 62:8  "Trust in Him at all times, you people; Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us."

Will God hear when we pray?    Psalms 3:4  "I cried to the Lord with my voice, and He heard me from His holy hill."
Psalms 34:4,6  "I sought the Lord and He heard me and delivered me from all my fears.  This poor man cried out and the Lord heard him and saved him from all his troubles."  When I read these verses, it was like a healing balm to me.  I am so afraid of being left living alone again and I know now that He won't let be get into that circumstances again.  I don't want to live with anyone, I just want them near so I can have someone to talk to if I need to or to get help when I need it.  It seems right now that my troubles are many but He has promised to save me from all my troubles.  That is a great relief to me.  No more troubles to worry about.

What is the first step in offering an acceptable prayer?  Hebrews 11:6  "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him."  I believe with all my heart that He is God and does exist, how about you?  I hope you do there are so many reasons for believing.  So this is the first step in coming to God in prayer, believing that He is and always has.

What is the basis of true prayer?  John 15:7  "If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you."

What should be our state of mind in regard to all things asked for?  Luke 22:42  first part, "Father if it is Your will."  We should ask and let God do His will in answering.  That is a hard thing to do to succumb to God's will over ours.  But from experience I know that His will is best and always turns out better that what I willed to be done.  So trust His will for you, you won't be sorry.

Is it possible to ask for wrong things?  James 4:3  "You ask and  do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures."  I believe that God wants us to ask for things that will be for our spiritual benefit and others too and then I think He answers those kinds of prayers.

I think this is enough for us to think about today, tomorrow I will continue on the Prayer Study, hope it helps you like it has helped me, this has really opened my eyes to some reasons why our prayers are not answered and tomorrow there is another one, don't miss out because prayer is the key that unlocks heaven's storehouse and we want His storehouse of blessings poured out on us, don't we?  Grandma Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment