Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Personalize the Scriptures.

When we read and study the Scriptures, sometimes we can slip our name in them in place of another name or we can use personal pronouns to make them personal to us.  I like to do that when I am seeking help from the Lord, I have done it with lots of verses and other readings.  It really helps us to understand what God is saying to us.  To show you what I mean, please turn to Psalms 121.  I am going to put my personal words in parenthesis so you will know what my words are.

"I will lift up my eyes to the hills--from whence comes my help?  My help comes from the Lord who made heaven and earth.  He will not allow your (my) foot to be moved; He who keeps you (me) will not slumber nor sleep.  The Lord is your (my) keeper; the Lord is your (my) shade at your (my) right hand.  The sun shall not strike you (me) by day, nor the moon by night.  The Lord shall preserve you (me) from all evil;  He shall preserve your (my) soul.  The Lord shall preserve your (my) going out and your (my) coming in from this time forth and forevermore."  See how this makes it so personal to us to personalize them to fit us personally.
You will have to read this one from your Bible, I am going to personalize it to fit my need without changing the thought at all.

Now turn to 2 Peter 1:2-9  "Grace and peace have been multiplied to me by the knowledge  of God and of Jesus my Lord, as His divine power has given me all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called me by glory and virtue, by which have been given  to me exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these I may be a partaker of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption  that is in the world through lust.  But also for this very reason, I must give all diligence and add to my faith virtue (goodness) and to goodness knowledge and to knowledge self-control and to self-control perseverance and to perseverance godliness and to godliness brotherly kindness and to brotherly kindness, love.  For if these things are mine and abound, I will be neither barren or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ..  For if I lack these things I am shortsighted, even to blindness, and have forgotten that I was cleansed from my old sins."

That makes it so personal to me I can understand what God is trying to tell me.  It makes it so plain I can't misinterpret it.  Sometimes we change the meaning when we personalize, but that is not the purpose of what I am trying to tell you.  A fair warning.  Don't EVER change the meaning of God's word, His word is final and if we try to change the meaning we are in jeopardy with God.  He has warned us in His word not to do that in more than one place.  But I believe He wants us to take His word personally to ourselves so that we can see that He is directly speaking to us, which He is.  You can't do it with everything, but with some verses it is so easy to apply them to ourselves this way.

Enjoy your study of His word and remember not to change things, just apply them to you personally.  There are so many promises to apply to ourselves and we must be sure to thank Him in advance for answering your requests,  This shows you have faith in His promises.  God bless your study of His word and may your faith increase dynamically as you study and claim His promises.  Grandma Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment