Thursday, August 8, 2013

Follow The Light

We can't live without light, and most of us enjoy the sunlight, it is necessary for our physical health to get the vitamin D that we need and it also is necessary for our mental and emotional health.  People that live where there is little sunlight have a tendency to become depressed and do not function as well as those who get lots of sun.  I remember that when I was living in Oregon out in the mountains I got a bad case of psoriasis on both legs and elbows and when we moved to the desert, it went away, so our skin loves the sun but also it can be dangerous for our skin too, if it is not protected from the hot rays.

1 John 1:5  "This then is the message which we have heard of Him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all."

Psalms 27:1  "The Lord is my light and my salvation;  Whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the strength of my life; Of whom shall I be afraid?

Psalms 119:105  "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."

God is my light and there isn't any darkness in Him and He is my light and salvation and the strength of my life and then it says that His word is a lamp to our feet and a light to our path.  Can we follow this light safely?  I think we can.

John 12:35 says "Then Jesus said to them, 'a little while longer the light is with you.  Walk while you have the light, lest darkness overtake you; he who walks in darkness does not know where he is going.'"  This sounds a bit like a warning that if we don't follow the light that we have, that darkness may overtake us.  We surely don't want that to happen.  I don't mind physical darkness, I was never afraid of it, I remember one time when we were living in the Oregon mountains that I wanted to get my mail and forgot to take a flashlight with me or thought it was light enough to see where I was going, as it was it was pitch dark and I couldn't even see my hand in front of my face, the lane to the road was probably 150 feet long or so and I was OK as long as I stayed on the path, but when I got to the main road I sort of knew where the mail box was but couldn't see a thing and put my hands out in front of me and went towards where I thought it was and sure enough I found it and started back, it was quite the walk but there wasn't any fear, darkness has never meant fear to me.  But to tell you the truth, Spiritual darkness means more than fear to me, it means eternal separation from my God and I do not like that idea at all.  If we stay on the path of light we are safe in His keeping, but if we refuse to stay on His path that He has designed for us, it is a dangerous situation, darkness will overtake us and we will not know where we are going, as the verse says.

It is important to study to see what the path of light is and to surrender to His light and His guidance.  It is a journey that you will never be sorry that you took.  I am not a bit sorry, even though it has been a bit thorny and dangerous at times and sometimes even discouraging, I keep turning my eyes on Him for guidance and He has kept me these 82 years through thick and thin, sometimes really thin but His love is so deep and condescending He comes down here by His Spirit to direct and encourage and keep us from getting off the path if we are willing to follow.

Are you willing to follow the Light?  I am, even though it is tough sometimes, He gives me strength to do it.
Will you join me in this journey, I will try very hard to encourage you and help you as He is helping me each and every day.  Grandma Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment