Monday, August 19, 2013

Mercy, a Godlike Trait.

Maybe a synonym for mercy would be compassion , or kindness?  You might think of another word but I like compassion.  Have you ever felt compassion for someone?  I have but I have to admit, that if I understand the word completely, I am not sure that it has been one of my better traits.  Actually, I am very ashamed to admit that.  I was raised in a family where little compassion was shown and so I guess you could say that I never realized what compassion was.  I needed an example.

Well, I guess you could say I learned the hard way.  When my husband was in the nursing home, I wanted to help him but couldn't find a way, I would have done anything for him but there was nothing to do but to love him and I tried to do that.  Then when he was dying, I wanted so much to help him and be near him and I was near him and tried to comfort him but it seemed such a small thing compared to what he was going through.  I believe over time from that experience, I have learned to be more compassionate with others when they are hurting, both physically and emotionally.  I hope.  Of course I am still in the learning process.

Psalms 103:17  "But the mercy of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children."

Lamentations 3:22,23  "Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed.  Because His compassions fail not.  They are new every morning."

Isn't it wonderful that we have a merciful, compassionate God that they fail not and are new every morning.?
I am so thankful for that and I want to be like that, a compassionate follower of His.

Psalms 108:4  "For Thy mercy is great above the heavens; and thy truth reacheth unto the clouds."
His mercy is Eternal, New every day and Boundless.

Micah 7:18  "Who is a God like unto Thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgression of the remnant of His heritage?  He retaineth not His anger for ever, because He delighteth in mercy."  He delights in showing mercy to us even in our transgression.  What more could we ask?

Titus 3:5  "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit."  There is nothing we can do to save ourselves, it is according to His mercy that we are saved when He washes us clean through baptism and renews us with the Holy Spirit.

Here is our admonition:  Micah 6:8  "He hath showed thee O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?  Isn't that pretty simple, to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with God. Those are all Godlike traits of character that we could use aren't they?  May you be blessed with these traits today is my prayer and that I might be blessed with them as well.  "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy."  Matthew 5:7.
Grandma Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment