Saturday, November 23, 2013

An Invitation to You - Come to the Banquet!

Do you like invitations to banquets, parties, potlucks, wherever there is fellowship, fun and food?  I personally like it all, If I said I didn't, I would be a liar and I don't want to do that.  I don't know that I have ever been invited to a banquet, have you?  Parties, yes, and lots of potlucks.  I love fellowship, which I hardly get anymore.  I miss it terribly!!


We have been invited to a banquet and it is a sad story that needs to come home to us and see if it fits us personally.  I hope not.

Luke 14:16-18  Jesus Speaking,  "A certain man gave a great supper and invited many, and sent his servant at supper time to say to those who were invited, 'Come, for all things are now ready',  But they all with one accord began to make excuses.  The first said to him, 'I have bought a piece of ground, and I must go and see it, I ask you to have me excused."

Do you think he could have looked at his ground another time?  I am sure he could have, so it was really just an excuse.

Verses 19,20  "And another said, 'I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I am going to test them, I ask you to have me excused.'  Still another said 'I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.'

Do you think either one of these were a good excuse?  I don't think so, I have thought that the man that made the great supper, must have been disappointed, because these were his friends and they all had an excuse, one bought some oxen and couldn't come and the other married a wife and couldn't come.  The first one bought some ground and couldn't come.  Very lame excuses.

Jesus sends us an invitation to 'come' will you find an excuse for not coming.  I like to think that in heaven there is a huge banquet table, miles long to make room for the saved and Jesus himself is there to serve us, remember how he served His disciples at the last supper, well, why wouldn't he do the same for us? He will be filled with joy that we are there and I know that His life was filled with ministering and He is still the same friend to us now and will be then.

Matthew 11:28-30  "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden in light."

Are you laden with burdens?  He will give you rest.  We can learn from Him, He is gentle and lowly in heart and we will find rest for our souls because with Him, His yoke is easy and His burden that He gives us is light.

Will you accept His invitation or will you find a flimsy excuse?  We need His gentle spirit to lean on and rest in.  The man who held the great supper, sent the servant out to bring in the poor, the lame and the blind until his banquet hall was filled,  I hope that Jesus doesn't have to replace us because we are finding excuses to not come at His invitation.  Will you be there?  I am planning to be, who would want to miss such a great opportunity to be with all the saved of the earth.  Not me, not you I pray. Grandma Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment