Thursday, November 14, 2013

In Quietness

I like to be around people but I also like peace and quiet.  I can't think to good if it is too noisy, but really I don't have to worry about that, I live a pretty peaceable life, most of the time.  I do like friends to drop in and visit and I love family around, even then it's pretty quiet unless it's a house full.  I am wondering why I am studying Quietness, must need it in some way.

Isaiah 32:17  "The work of righteousness will be peace, and the effect of righteousness, quietness and assurance forever."  I am sure this is talking about eternity with Jesus forever.  It will be peaceful and quiet compared to this world we live in with all the freeways, trains and factories running and sirens  and strife,etc.

Proverbs 171  "Better is a dry morsel with quietness, than a house full of feasting with strife."  How very true that is, there is so much strife and confusion in this world, I think we can all say a dry morsel and quietness is so much better.

1 Thessalonians 4:11  "That you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you."  Now there is a command and a half, to aspire to lead a quiet life and to mind our own business and work with our own hands.  I dare say that we have all been guilty of minding someone else's business instead of our own at some time or another, and maybe more often than not.  This is something we can all benefit from, I am sure, at least I can.

1 Peter 3:3,4  "Do not let your adornment be merely outward--arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting of fine apparel--rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God."  A gentle and quiet spirit, I guess we can all benefit from a gentle and quiet spirit, can't we?

Isaiah 30:15  "For thus says the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel; In returning and rest you shall be saved; In quietness and confidence shall be your strength."  Our strength is in the quietness and confidence of what we believe.  If we have wandered away from God, it says, 'In returning and rest we shall be saved.'

Did you learn something from this study?  I did.  I learned that there is great peace and beauty in a gentle and quiet spirit and that it is good to mind my own business, which I think I do most of the time, but it won't hurt to work on it some more.  Was this helpful to you?  I hope so.  We are striving to be like Jesus and this was His spirit, gentle, quiet, confident, restful, always trying to help those in need.  Let us strive to be like Him.
Grandma Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment