Friday, January 10, 2014

Love Wins Hearts.

Micah 6:8  "He has shown you , O man, what is good;  And what does the Lord, require of you, But to do justly, To love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God."  Today, I would like to talk about loving Mercy.

Forgive me for bringing up our street work again, but there were so many wonderful experiences that show how much God loves even the street people.  They will return the love that is shown them and an example of that is a little Chinese man that was there every time we went to Portland to skid row.  He slept under a bridge and was a happy little man.  He always greeted me with a kiss on the back of my hand, so sweet, that it was worth all the effort it took to plan and go.  He would gather papers out of the garbage behind businesses and then would turn them over and write stories in Chinese on the back of the papers and then he would show me what he had written and then tell me the stories.  I always looked forward to seeing him.

Sometimes we would take sandwiches, or cookies, or apples whatever we could afford or was donated for the trip.  One day a young man, probably 18 or so, came up and I gave him a package of cookies, he was so thin and so thrilled to get them.  He disappeared for quite a while and I wondered what happened to him, then all of a sudden there he was again, not to get cookies but to kiss me for being so kind.  He wanted to kiss me on my lips but of course I couldn't allow that but told him he could kiss my cheek by my ear and that he did.  I could tell my love for him found love in return.  Same with the little Chinese man.

1 Corinthians 13 is the love chapter and I would like to enumerate some of the things love does or doesn't do.
Love suffers long, and is kind.  Love does not envy; Love does not parade itself; is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek it's own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.  Love never fails.

Now I know for a fact that I fail in some of these things that love does not do, and I pray that God will give me victory over them.  I know He will.  God's love never fails and if we have his love in our hearts, our love will never fail either.  Please read the whole love chapter, it is good to go over things like this to see how we are measuring up.  It is good for us to evaluate our lives and be a blessing to those around us, and to those we meet.  I think I need to start reaching out to others more, how about you?  Let's let our love be a sweet aroma around us, how about it?  Love, Grandma Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment