Monday, March 27, 2017

Resisting Temptation - Biblical examples of -

I Would like to share some examples from Bible characters who resisted different types of temptations.  It should give us courage in our temptations.

Abraham by Refusing a Reward

Genesis 14:23  "That I will not take from a thread even to a shoe latchet, and that I will not take any thing that is thine, lest thou should say, I have made Abram rich."

Elisha for Refusing Payment for Healing

2 Kings 5:16  "But he said, As the Lord lives, before whom I stand, I will receive none.  And he urged him to take it but he refused."

Job by Rejecting Evil Counsel

Job 2:9,10  "Then said his wife unto him, Dost thou still retain thine integrity? curse God and die.  But he said unto her, Thou speak as one of the foolish women speaks. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, an shall we not receive evil?  In all this did not Job sin with his lips."

The Rechabites and Daniel, by Refusing Wine.

Jeremiah 35:5,6  "And I set before the sons of the house of the Rechabities pots full of wine, and cups; and I said unto them, Drink ye wine.  But they said, We will drink no wine: for Jonadab the son of Rechab our father commanded us, saying ye shall drink no wine, neither ye, nor your sons for ever:"

Daniel 1:8  "But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the kings meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself."

Christ by Refusing Worldly Honor

Luke 4:5,6 ,8 "And the devil, taking Him up into an high mountain, showed unto Him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.  And the devil said unto Him, All this power will I give Thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will, I give it.  If Thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine.  And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God and Him only shalt thou serve."

Peter by Refusing a Bribe

Acts 8:20  "But Peter said unto him, thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money."

We can always answer Satan with 'It Is Written' or we can just say, 'Jesus save me' when we are tempted beyond our control.  we can always resist him and draw near to God.  He is helping me and He will help you.  Grandma Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment