Sunday, March 19, 2017

The Value of Friendship

Do you have friends?  When I first came to the church that I am attending now, I had two friends. One day I was outside watering a flower garden at home, and a lady from the church came by and I don't remember the incident, but I do remember being prompted to make her a frilly scarf.  So I did.
She just loved it and wore it every week to church, and I decided to make her another one and it ended up I believe to be six or eight, not sure.  Anyway, different ladies, one at a time asked me if I was the one that made those beautiful scarves, and I asked each one what their favorite color was and today many of the ladies in the church wear the lacy scarves and they are all my friends.  One lady in particular sat down beside me in the hall and asked me how I was doing?  She was so sweet, I asked her her favorite color and it was purple.  I made her a scarf and she wore it to church and she was out in the foyer showing it to everyone who came by and telling them who made it and gave it to her. Today she is one of the sweetest friends that I have ever had.  Two years later, I cannot count my friends and I love every one of them.  It reminds me of the verse in the Bible:

The Desire for Many Friends

Proverbs 18:24  "A man that hath friends must show himself friendly:"  I have never in my whole life of almost 86 years had so many loving friends, they are not just friends, they are loving friends, I tell my friends that I love them and they know that I do.

True Friends are Unchangeable

Proverbs 17:17  "A friend loves at all times."  My sweet friend lost her husband very recently and I was able to put my arms about her and love her and sympathize with her whole heartedly because I had experienced the same thing.

Old Friends to be Cherished

Proverbs 27:10  "Thine own friend, and thy father's friend, forsake not; neither go into thy brother's house in the day of thy calamity: for better is a neighbor that is near than a brother far of."

Stimulating Friendship

Proverbs 27:17  "Iron sharpens iron: so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."  Each week when I walk into church my friends hug me and I know I have friends because as soon as they see me their countenance lights up into a great big smile.  I love them so much.

Profitable Friendship

Ecclesiastes 4:9,10  "Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labor.  For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow; but woe to him that is alone when he falls; for he has  not another to help him up." Would you say that I have been rewarded for my labor?  I would say, over and over again.  A couple of weeks ago, I saw a friend in the hall that I hadn't see for a while and I called her by name and said, 'I have missed you and we hugged and I told her I loved her and she said, 'I know you do'.  What a response!

Everyone can make friends if you show yourself friendly.  I had no idea what one little frilly scarf
would do!  No idea.  I am still doing it.  I just gave one to the first lady that I ever made one for, it was one that she could wear with anything.  I got a friendship hug from her.  I have two or three made for other ladies but they are busy in children ministries and are not at church very often, so haven't been able to give them to them.

My scarves are also a witnessing tool.  I live close to the World Mark time share and the other night I was sort of downcast somewhat and went for a little walk over to the entrance lounge and sat there for a while and this lady that works there came over and conversed with me and brought me an herb tea and sat and visited with me for a while.  I took her a scarf and she had tears in her eyes when I gave it to her for her kindness.  I got her favorite color and made her another one and haven't given it to her yet but maybe I'll get it to her today as she is on duty today.  I have learned a great lesson in giving and this is just a sample of what giving does.  I want all my lady friends  to know that I love them.  I only have one regret, I wish I had learned this many, many years ago.  But I am so thankful that I learned this great lesson now.  It doesn't have to be scarves, it could be any small thing that you like to make or do.  Just show yourself friendly, that's all you have to do, the Bible says so.  Grandma Joan


No comments:

Post a Comment