Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A Changed Life - part 2

This is another character change that Peter made from an 'impulsive' Peter to a 'humble' Peter.

John 18:10  "Then Simon Peter, having a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus."  This was when they arrested Jesus in Gethsemane.  A very impulsive act to say the least.  He thought he was protecting Jesus.

Acts 10:25,26  "As Peter was coming in, Cornelius met him and fell down at his feet and worshiped him.  But Peter lifted him up, saying, 'Stand up; I myself also am a man.'"  Peter turned from an impulsive disciple protecting Jesus to a humble disciple not worthy of worship.  Of course none of us are worthy of worship. We should all be Christ's humble servants as Peter turned out to be.

Sometimes we go through some very humiliating things to cause us to turn from a spirit of pride to humility.
I remember a lady in our church who had a very proud spirit and when it came time to elect officers for the new year, she called me and told me that she had been elected to be the Home and School leader for the whole valley which consisted of 3 or 4 churches and I knew that they had asked me to do it but I didn't say anything, what could I say?  I thought to myself, I guess I will let it ride and see what happens when she finds out that I would be the new Home and School leader.  As it was she never said a word to me about it.  I have no idea to this day what her thoughts were.  I do know that it didn't cure her of her pride because she put herself and her husband in about 8 offices when she was on the nominating committee.  So sad to see people when they have to suffer humiliating experiences to learn humility and some learn and some don't.  I hope that I am one that learns.

That's what happened to Peter, when he cut off Malchus ear and Jesus told him to put up his sword and he put Malchus ear back on and healed it.

It was after Pentecost that Peter became a humble disciple, after the Holy Spirit was poured out on them in abundance.

Acts 2:38-41  "Then Peter said unto them, 'repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.  For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.'  And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, Get saved from this perverse generation.'  Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them."

When the Holy Spirit is really, truly poured out upon God's people things happen.  But in order for the Spirit to be poured out upon us, we must repent and according to the scripture be baptized and then we shall receive the Holy Spirit as Peter did.

What a testimony!!  Will it be yours?  Will it be mine?  It is our choice.  I know from other answers to my prayers that He says, "If you then being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him."  He will answer our prayers for the Holy Spirit in our life if we humbly ask Him and confess our frailties to Him.  He will give us the same power to overcome as He gave to Peter.  So let's ask Him.  I am willing, are you, we need it more than anything else.  Grandma Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment