Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The Goodness of God

This study is to strengthen my faith in a God of love, mercy and grace.  When I grew up, I had a stepfather that did not represent the goodness of God to me in any way, shape or form.  I would picture God looking at me with a stern look on His face and it wasn't until about 10 - 11 years ago that I realized that He was looking at me with a loving, merciful heart full of grace and beauty.  What a difference that picture made to me.  What kind of picture do you have of God?  I hope it is one of grace and beauty and not like the one I had.  If it is the wrong one, let me introduce you to the One I have now.

Exodus 34:6  "And the Lord passed by before him, and proclaimed, The Lord, The Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth."  Does this sound like a stern looking God? Not to me.

Psalms 31:19  "Oh, how great is Thy goodness, which Thou hast laid up for them that fear Thee, which Thou hast wrought for them that trust in Thee before the sons of men."  I want to mention here that the word 'fear'
here means reverence.  He has laid up great Spiritual blessings for those that reverence and trust Him.

Psalms 52:1  "Why boastest thou thyself in mischief, O mighty man?  The goodness of God endureth continually."  His goodness endures forever.

Psalms 145:9  "The Lord is good to all; and His tender mercies are over all His works."

Psalms 86:5  "For Thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon Thee."  He is a forgiving God and has plenty of mercy for all that call upon Him.

Has your picture of Him changed and you see a loving God, bending over you in love, merciful and tender, compassionate ready to forgive.?  I hope this is your picture of Him, it is mine now and I am so thankful that He has changed my picture of Him.  I always loved Him even as a child, but I may have loved Him out of fear instead of His loving kindness towards me.  I am not sure about that, I just know that my picture of Him has changed into a loving, compassionate look and I love it.  I hope that is your picture now too.  Grandma Joan.

No comments:

Post a Comment