Monday, March 31, 2014

Sweeter Than Honey

God does not give us things to make us miserable, does He?  I have never read where He does that.  His gifts are always for our good and enjoyment.  I read about some gifts this morning that I would like to share with you that I believe will help us in our Christian walk.  Do you need help?  I know that I do.  I have been going through some pretty heavy things lately and I need encouragement to get to the other side of them.
I hope this encourages you too.

Psalms 19:7-11.  I am going to go through these verses piece by piece to see the gifts and what they do for us.
Verse 7 has two gifts in it:  "The law of the Lord is perfect converting the soul;  the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple;"  Converting our soul is a gift that God does for us when we study His law and convert means transform, I need my soul transformed into His image, this is a wonderful gift and the other gift is making wise the simple.  I am simple and need His wisdom, so there are two gifts that I need especially.

Verse 8  "The statues of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart;  The commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes."  My understanding of the word 'statues' is that they are the rules that God gave Israel for their well being as they were written out by Moses and placed in the side of the ark, not in the ark as were the commandments and included things for health and comfort for them.  Some of them are still pertinent for today and they rejoice our hearts or bring joy to our hearts to heed them.  And the commandment of the Lord was written on stone and is still enlightening to us as we walk our Christian walk.

Verse 9  "The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever;  The judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether;"  We have nothing to fear as long as we are following His instructions, they are clean and last forever.  His judgments are true and righteous, all of them.

Verse 10  "More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold. Sweeter than honey and the honeycomb.  We should desire His word more than we desire gold because it means everlasting life to those who follow His word and do those things that are pleasing to Him.

Verse 11  "Moreover by them Your servant is warned, and in keeping them there is great reward."
In keeping His word there is great reward and as we follow on to know the Lord, it becomes sweeter as the days go by.  This is so true and this little study has helped me to see how important it is to please Him.

His Word transforms us and makes us simple ones, wise, it rejoices our heart and enlightens us in our journey.  We need not fear on this journey we are on because His word endures forever and is righteous and true.  As we walk the Christian walk it becomes sweeter each day of our journey.  Try it, you just might be overjoyed in your Christian walk.  Grandma Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment